IZU NIRAYAMA INTERNATIONAL GUITAR FESTIVAL & SUMMER SEMINAR '98
This time, we'd like to invite you to "Izu Nirayama International Guitar Festival & Summer Seminar '98" that will be held from July 31 to August 2, 1998. We believe such a guitar seminar that has various subjects is very rare or unique in the world.
This is an annual event held by Nihon Guitar Music Conservatory that Dr. Niibori serves as the president. Therefore, the curriculum is constructed based on his study of Niibori Method.
This event will take place in Nihon Guitar Music Conservatory and Izu Nirayama Jidai Gekijo. Nihon Guitar Music Conservatory is located in a summer resort area at 400 meters above, and the magnificent panorama through the windows are so beautiful. In the daytime, Sacred Mt. Fuji and lots of mountains appear clearly in front of us, and in the night, innumerable stars cover the whole sky and lights of the towns in the foot of mountains move everyone deeply. In the conservatory, there is a hall called 'Tarrega Hall' that was designed specially for the guitar music. It is wonderful to study or listen to the guitar sound in such environment. In the evening, concerts and a party will be held in Tarrega Hall, and students will enjoy night life too.
Well, let's introduce the curriculum for this year.
July 31 (The first day)
- * Special Lecture by Dr. Hiroki Niibori 'My forecast in the future'
(13:00-14:30 in Nirayama Jidai Gekijo)
- His lecture is very popular every year. This year's theme is 'My forecast in the future', and he will talk about the reexamination of the sense of value for the 21st century, a meaningful life with the guitar, guitar orchestras which activate communities, the establishment of a special studio for conducting and guitar orchestras and the further plan, and so on.
- * Elective Classes
(15:30-18:00 in Nirayama Jidai Gekijo)
- 1) The most advanced instructing method of a guitar orchestra
- Prof. Kiyoshi Koyama who is active as a conductor of Niibori Guitar Orchestra, instructs how to instruct a guitar orchestra for instructors or leaders of a guitar orchestra.
- 2) Guitar lessons for original guitars
- Each lesson is instructed by top players of the Niibori Guitar Orchestra. Students can learn how to play original guitars (e.g. the soprano guitar, the alto guitar, the bass guitar, the cembalo guitar, the contrabass guitar, the guitarron) from the basic skills. A set piece for the lessons is 'Warewa Uminoko' in baroque style composed by Masaaki Hayakawa.
- 3) Lute lesson for beginners
- This lesson is instructed by Mr. Toru Sakurada who is an active lutist in Europe. After he graduated from Nihon Guitar Music Conservatory, he got his diploma from The Royal Conservatory in the Hague, Holland. It must be interesting to experience the medieval music.
- * 'Guitaristus Nippon' Salon Concert
(20:00-21:00 in Tarrega Hall)
- 'Guitaristus Nippon' is a solo performance group that makes full use of Niibori Method original guitars. This year, audience can enjoy a lute performance by Mr. Toru Sakurada.
August 1 (The second day)
- * Conducting method and practical performance method
(10:00-12:00 in Tarrega Hall)
- Students learn conducting method as conducting the Niibori Guitar Ensemble (NE) that is a crack unit of the Niibori Guitar Orchestra. 'Haru ga kita' in baroque style will be played in this class as it is a set piece of 'The 2nd Guitar Orchestra Conducting Contest '99'. The instructor is Prof. Kiyoshi Koyama.
- * Dr. Niibori's open lesson 'Expression method on the stage that moves audience'
(13:00-15:00 in Tarrega hall)
- Dr. Niibori instructs players who are aiming at the first prize of 'All Japan Guitar Concours '98'. Students are divided according to the section (solo, duet, ensemble) of the concours, and instructed by Dr. Niibori directly.
- * Elective Classes
(15:30-18:00 in Tarrega Hall)
- 1) Classical guitar group lesson (introduction, intermediate, advanced)
2) Rhythm lesson by Niibori Rhythm Method
Basic lesson for people who are not good at rhythm (please prepare text book "NRM 2" and "NRM 3")
3) Electrical guitar high-technique lesson
4) Flute lesson for beginners
Instructor: Eri Kumagaya (Flutist of the Niibori Guitar Orchestra)
5) Accordion lesson for beginners
Instructor: Mr. Yu Xi-An (Accordionist of the Niibori Guitar Ensemble, from China)
August 3 (The third day)
- * The Niibori Guitar Ensemble Salon Concert & Party
(20:00-21:30 in Tarrega hall)
- A enjoyable concert by the Niibori Guitar Ensemble in Tarrega Hall that has the best acoustic for the guitar music. After the concert, a party is held to foster close friendships among instructors and students. Attendance will enjoy a wonderful music, dinner, night view and pleasant chat at the same time.
- * Elective Classes
(10:00-12:00 in Nirayama Jidai Gekijo)
- 1) Stage managing lesson
Mr. Shun-ichi Hayashida who is a stage director of the Niibori Guitar Orchestra, teaches how to manage a stage (stage effects, sound effects, lighting and so on).
2) English conversation class for musicians
Group lesson by Mr. Sam Lee from America.
3) Guitar structure class
Guitar craftsman explains the structure of the guitar in detail.
4) Composition class for beginners
Enjoyable composition class by Mr. Masatoshi Ishizuka who is a famous composer of the Niibori Guitar Orchestra. His composition NRM "Narashino" and "Festa" are very popular and often played in concerts and concours.
- * Grand guitar orchestra stage lesson by Dr. Niibori
(13:00-16:00 in Nirayama Jidai Gekijo)
- Students play with members of the Niibori Guitar Orchestra conducted by Dr. Niibori. Please experience the impressive sound of a large-scaled orchestra. Number is "Warewa Uminoko" in baroque style.
Students who attend all curriculums for 3 days can get a certificate of the completion. Tuition fee for 3 days including a lunch and concert fee is 45,000 yen. It is possible to attend only a single day as you like. If you need, we can introduce accommodations near the site.
For questions, advice & requests about Monthly Harmony,
Niibori Guitar Music Academy, Editorial Office
143-14 Fujisawa, Fujisawa-shi, Kanagawa-ken,
Phone: +81-466-23-8338 / Fax: +81-466-23-9337
Back to "Special Topics"
Back to "Harmony" index page